Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Vince Guaraldi Trio - A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)


Perfect.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #23

Tracks: The jazzed-up carols (O Tannenbaum, What Child Is This, The Christmas Song) and Peanuts originals (Christmas Time Is Here, Skating, and the classic Linus and Lucy) create a joyous and festive meditation for the season. Heck, even listening to the kids belting out Hark, The Herald Angels Sing or "Schroeder" playing an excerpt from Beethoven's Für Elise reminds me of the TV special and puts me in a good mood. If this isn't my favorite Christmas album, it's certainly in the discussion. In this house, this CD is required listening every year.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Cold winter nights in West Texas in the late '60s/early '70s, eagerly waiting for the one night each year when A Charlie Brown Christmas was broadcast on CBS. I know I can buy it on Blu-Ray now, but it's just not the same, is it?

Exclusive CD longbox photo courtesy of
Dirk Digglinator of the Hambonian Archives.

A quick shout out to my best friend from childhood, Charlie Brown. That's me on the left and Charlie on the right, 1972.


No comments:

Post a Comment