Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, April 1, 2011

Various Artists - Saturday Night Fever: The Original Movie Soundtrack (1977)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a double LP, later replaced by a CD.

I really don't need to write anything about this album, because you had (or still have) a copy, too. It wasn't bad on 2 LPs, but so much better on CD. Heard on CD as over 70 minutes of music, this disc comes off like an idealized commercial-free radio set of late-'70s dance music.

Rolling Stone, March 23, 1978, p. 64

Whatever, Rolling Stone. It's hard to argue with these numbers:
  • 40+ million - copies sold worldwide.
  • 120 - weeks on the Billboard album chart (until March 1980).
  • 57 - spot on VH1's 2003 list of greatest albums of all time.
  • 163 - spot on Rolling Stone magazine's 2020 list of 500 greatest albums of all time.
  • 1 - Grammy Award for Album of the Year (1979)
  • 10:51 - length of the epic Disco Inferno by The Trammps
  • 17 - tracks
  • 6 - Billboard #1 pop hits

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #1 (24 straight weeks, Jan 21-July 1, 1978)
  • Billboard R&B: #1 (5 consecutive weeks, February 18 - March 18, 1978)
  • CashBox: #1 (25 consecutive weeks, January 21 - July 8, 1978)

Tracks: God help me, I love disco music. I can't skip any of these tracks, not even the cheesy Fifth Of Beethoven or the processed David Shire instrumentals. If I had to pick a favorite track, it would be If I Can't Have You by Yvonne Elliman, which might be my all-time favorite disco tune.

Single Artist  Hot 100
R&B
Dance
AC
Jive Talkin'
Bee Gees
1

9
A Fifth of Beethoven
Walter Murphy
110
13
You Should Be Dancing
Bee Gees
14125
Open Sesame
Kool & The Gang
55613
How Deep is Your Love
Bee Gees
1

1
Night Fever
Bee Gees
18
19
If I Can't Have You
Yvonne Elliman
1

9
Stayin' Alive/Night Fever/More Than a Woman
Bee Gees


3
Stayin' Alive
Bee Gees
14
28
Disco Inferno
The Trammps
1191
More Than a Woman
Tavares
3236

Boogie Shoes 
KC & The Sunshine Band
3529


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Seeing the movie at the Texas movie theater in downtown BC (even though I had the soundtrack before I saw the movie). Now when I watch the movie, I notice its dark subject matter of bigotry, rape, and death. When I was 12 years old, I didn't pay attention to any of that. To me, it was all about the music and the dancing. That may be the last movie I ever saw in a single screen movie house.

The song Disco Inferno, for some reason, reminds me of a jr. high tennis tournament at BCHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment