Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Steve Reich - Different Trains, Electric Counterpoint (1989)


Performed here by Kronos Quartet, Different Trains is such a complex piece that I can't begin to properly explain it. Here are the composer's liner notes (click image to enlarge):


This piece is so intense and moving, I can't listen to it very often.

Electric Counterpoint is an interesting piece in which Pat Metheny plays against pre-recorded tapes of himself producing a thick canonic texture.

Tracks:
Different Trains (1988) performed by Kronos Quartet
  • America - Before the war (8:59)
  • Europe - During the war (7:31)
  • After the war (10:20)

Electric Counterpoint (1987) performed by Pat Metheny
  • Fast (6:51)
  • Slow (3:21)
  • Fast (4:29)

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I heard the Kronos Quartet perform Different Trains live not long after I graduated from college. It was preceded by a long explanation by one of the members of the quartet. That performance led to the purchase of this CD and increased my interest in minimalist music. I regret that I haven't kept up with modern music composition as much as I should.

No comments:

Post a Comment