Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Various Artists - Ally McBeal: A Very Ally Christmas featuring Vonda Shepard (2000)


Buying this disc must have seemed like a good idea back in the year 2000.
Actually, some of the cuts aren't too bad. Vonda Shepard is a decent cover artist. I have no memory of Robert Downey, Jr. on that show - he certainly didn't need to be recording Christmas songs at that point in his life. Series regulars Lisa Nicole Carson and Jane Krakowski make appearances, trying to parlay their acting careers into recording careers. Even Calista Flockhart sings one track: Santa Baby. Macy Gray sings Winter Wonderland - no idea how she got on the disc. Did she do a cameo on the show?

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #59

Tracks:

  • Good: This Christmas, Please Come Home for Christmas, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, What Are You Doing New Year's Eve
  • Bad: Silver Bells, Let It Snow, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus, River
  • Ugly: Winter Wonderland, Santa Claus Got Stuck in My Chimney, Santa Baby, White Christmas
  • Cheesy: The Man with The Bag, Run Rudolph Run

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: No specific Christmas memories. I have vague memories of watching the TV show with my wife. I don't remember how many seasons it lasted, but I'm pretty sure I didn't watch more than two.

1 comment:

  1. Watched this show dilligently though I wasn't very enaomred of the actress that starred. (My sister was and named her second daughter Calista.) The characters of Renee, Georgia, Ling and Maddie were favorites of mine. Bought my wife the complete series box when it was released and then bugged her to take plastic off so we could re-watch it. I lasted three episodes.

    As both a fan of cover versions and Christmas music (like you), I enjoy this and the other discs released from the show.

    Standout tracks for me are Downey's cover of "River" - such a strong song in my book that no one can mess it up (whenever I play it or slip it onto my annual Xmas disc people have a hard time believing it's him) and Macy Gray who has a few other Xmas tracks floating around out there.

    ReplyDelete