Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Brahms - Symphony No. 1 in C Minor, op. 68 (1983)


Leonard Bernstein conducting the Vienna Philharmonic.

This work, premiered in 1876, is sometimes referred to as "Beethoven's Tenth Symphony" because of the similarities to Beethoven's later work. While it definitely pays homage to the Beethoven's symphonies (particularly Nos. 5 & 9), it is also similar to much of the music being written by other composers of that time, particularly the Russian writers. I'm grabbed from the opening notes with chromatic contrary motion causing tension before the main theme arrives. Brahms was a master at writing diatonic melodies over chromatic harmonies and I'm always amazed by that. I particularly like the third movement of this work.

I grew up idolizing Bernstein, so of course I think his interpretations are the standard to which all others are measured. I'm probably wrong to think that, but old habits are hard to break. Some of the movements here are a little slow for my taste and there are times when you can hear Bernstein singing along with the orchestra à la Glenn Gould, but I wouldn't trade this recording for any other. The orchestra sounds fantastic, particularly the horns.

Stereo Review called the recording "stunningly dramatic."

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: In the late '80s or very early '90s, my friend Eddie and I were driving in his car listening to a cassette of this recording. I think he may have recently seen Bernstein conduct the work and told me all about that as we discussed the work in general and the interpretation in general. Even at the time I knew there weren't many young adults in their early 20's that did things like that. I picked up this CD not long after that.

I've heard the familiar theme from the fourth movement of this work more times than I care to remember. The notes and rhythms aren't particularly difficult, making it approachable by what publishers call "developing players," e.g. first year instrumentalists. I've heard that piece butchered by many sixth grade band members. Even great works lose their luster under those conditions.

No comments:

Post a Comment