Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Najee - Just An Illusion (1992)


Definitely a product of its time. Heavy on synth bass and drum programming, this doesn't sound as smooth today as it probably did upon release. On this release especially, I find myself liking Najee's soprano playing more than his tenor playing and much, much more than his flute playing. However, the multiple attempts at hip-hop/jazz fusion fall flat and make this my least favorite Najee album.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #107
  • Billboard R&B: #25
  • Billboard Top Contemporary Jazz: #5
  • CashBox Contemporary Jazz: #10

Tracks: I hate myself for enjoying the cover of Color Me Badd's I Adore Mi Amor. I also like Noah's Ark and Until We Meet Again. I'm not wild about the title track, Breezy, Burn It Up, and Here We Go. The other tracks are innocuous.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Morning Tenderness (1998)
Share My World (1994)
Najee's Theme (1986)

No comments:

Post a Comment