Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Various Artists - Bright Lights, Big City Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (1988)

CD cover

Great book, bad movie, great soundtrack. The book would be in the discussion for the title of "Seminal Novel of the 1980's" while the movie would be in the running for "Worst Movie Adaptation of the 1980's." Much of the movie takes place in NYC clubs, so the soundtrack is mainly dance music. Listening to the CD is a nice nostalgic trip to the summer of '88 which I will now dub "The Lost Summer of Mark" because I spent it being somebody I wasn't. Live and learn.

Billboard, March 26, 1988, p. 64

 

album ad

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #67

Tracks: The best tunes are Good Love by Prince, True Faith by New Order, and Pump Up The Volume by M/A/R/R/S. Prince proves that he can just put out a quality dance tune whenever he feels like it. There's other decent late '80s dance music on here: Divine Emotions by Narada, Pleasure Little Treasure by Depeche Mode, Obsessed by The Noise Club, and Love Attack by Konk. Donald Fagen is one of my favorites but his song, Century's End, while exceptional, is woefully out of place here. The song I could do without is Ice Cream Days by English actress Jennifer Hall.

CD longbox
For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I actually saw the movie first and it prompted me to read the book, which made me a Jay McInerney fan. I bought the cassette version of this soundtrack as a gift to my girlfriend at the time. It probably got thrown in the trash when we broke up. Anyhoo, if you haven't read the book, do so immediately.

Purchased in 1988, I still have the cassingle(!) of Donald Fagen's Century's End (b/w Shanghai Confidential) Update 5/7/2020: I have given this cassingle to someone who's a bigger fan of Fagen than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment