Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Keb' Mo' - Live: That Hot Pink Blues Album (2016)


Is there such a thing as "feel good blues"? (The question is rhetorical - the answer is yes and the supporting evidence is right here.)

Most live albums seem like a shameless money grabs or concert souvenirs, but this double disc set simply makes the argument that all Keb' Mo' should be live albums. 16 songs from nine stops on his 2015 nationwide tour. Blues, roots, folk, pop, whatever you wanna call it, it's day-umm good. My only complaint would be the oversight of omitting the song Am I Right from the setlist.

I'm left with this question: how much would I have to pay Keb' Mo' to come sit on my porch and sing blues songs with me?

Album chart Peaks
  • US Billboard 200: Did not chart
  • Billboard Blues: #3
  • Billboard Folk: #12
  • Billboard Independent: #33

Tracks: From Disc One, my favorites are Tell Everybody I Know, Somebody Hurt You, The Worst Is Yet To Come, and the funk of Government Cheese. On Disc Two, my picks are More Than One Way Home, The Old Me Better, and Rita.

Favorite bit of patter: when one fan yells out "Freebird!" Keb' Mo' stops what he's doing, laughs along with the audience, then replies, "Ima learn that song to shut y'all up."

DownBeat, August 2016, p. 73

For the record, that 3 star rating is low, especially when you consider DownBeat has a reputation for handing out 4 stars like candy.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Live And Mo' (2009)
Suitcase (2006)
Peace...Back by Popular Demand (2004)
Keep It Simple (2004)
Just Like You (1996)
Keb' Mo' (1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment