Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Best of Culture Club (2002)


A 10 track budget-priced compilation covering the years 1982-1986.  I know what you're thinking: "If this is their best, I don't want to hear their worst."  I want to dislike Culture Club for many superficial reasons, not the least of which is Boy George (read embarrassing story here), but I can't help but like the group's lightweight pseudo-soul music.  For reasons beyond explanation, their brand of fluffy, disposable dance tunes posing as New Wave pop just catches my ear. I hate myself for liking them.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:
SongUSUK
Karma Chameleon11
Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?2 1
I'll Tumble 4 Ya9-
Move Away12 7
The War Song172
Miss Me Blind5 -
Time (Clock Of The Heart)23
Church Of The Poison Mind10 2
It's A Miracle134
Victims- 3

My picks are Do You Really Want To Hurt Me?, I'll Tumble 4 Ya, Time (Clock Of The Heart), Church Of The Poison Mind, It's A Miracle and my favorite CC tune, Miss Me Blind. I can't stand Karma Chameleon and listening to it today makes me want to throw myself down a flight of stairs. To a lesser degree, I also want to skip Victims.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: In college, I picked up a used copy of the group's second album, 1983's Colour By Numbers. I was embarrassed just carrying the LP to the store's counter and only listened to it when I was alone to avoid needless ridicule.  I had self-esteem issues, obviously.

[update:I got over myself and saw CC in concert and it was great show]


No comments:

Post a Comment