Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Keb' Mo' - Keep It Simple (2004)


In at least one press release, Keb' Mo' described himself as a "singer songwriter dabbling in the blues." For Keb's fifth studio album, it's more of the same modern pop-blues, not low-down old school blues.  And for that, his fans thank him (including myself). Keb' is happier than most bluesmen and that contagious optimism weaves it way through the whole album. Heck, he even sings "I can't even crack a frown since the blues slipped out of town" on Prosperity Blues without the slightest bit of irony. The National guitar sounds great and the lead vocals are always smooth. This stuff goes down easy.

The album won a Grammy in 2005 for Best Contemporary Blues Album.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #149
Peak on Billboard Top Blues Albums chart: #1


Tracks: As I've written before, Keb' is hit-or-miss, but usually more of the former than the latter. My picks on this disc are France, Let Your Let Shine, Prosperity Blues, the title track, and Walk Back In, but there's nothing here that has me reaching for the skip button.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  None, although I've noticed that Keb' Mo' plays much better on the porch than in my truck. Fine with me.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Live And Mo' (2009)
Peace...Back by Popular Demand (2004)
Just Like You (1996)
Keb' Mo' (1994)

No comments:

Post a Comment