Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Antonio Carlos Jobim - Wave (1967)


BRAZIL WEEK (FEBRUARY 4-10, 2013)
"This man has written songs which could conceivably replace coffee as Brazil's leading export." - from Norman Gimbel's original liner notes.
This gets my vote for best bossa nova album ever and is one of the favorite CDs in my collection. It's got it all: great songwriting, beautiful guitar and piano work by Jobim, wonderful arrangements by Claus Ogerman, and tasteful production by Creed Taylor. Incredibly laid back and relaxing. 10 beautiful tracks over only 32 minutes. I would complain about the brevity of the album, but since the music is so perfect I'll just be thankful for what we were given.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #114

Tracks:  Don't skip any. This is one of those albums where my favorite tracks change each time I listen. The title track is probably the most popular and has become something of a bossa standard.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  I never have to "be in the mood" to listen to this album. Whenever one of the songs pops up on an iTunes shuffle, I stop what I'm doing and listen to the whole thing from start to finish at least once, sometimes twice. If the "last played" statistics are correct on my computer, that last happened two weeks ago at about 8 PM.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Getz/Gilberto (1964)

Blog post #800

No comments:

Post a Comment