Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Contraband: The Best of Men at Work (1996)


This Australian band released only 3 studio albums, but record companies have managed to parlay those 3 into no fewer than 9 greatest hits packages. Of those 9, this is the one I happened to pick up. I always thought Men At Work were always a singles band, not an album band, so a greatest hits CD is all I really need. I also think that the band's sophomore effort, Cargo, was a much stronger album than their debut, Business As Usual. That said, their albums always somewhat uneven affairs, with tracks alternating between number #1 singles and forgettable filler.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:
SongHot 100RockACAust.
Who Can It Be Now?146-2
Down Under11 131
It's A Mistake6271034
Hard Luck Story-- --
Still Life----
Underground-20 --
Upstairs In My House----
I Like To (Live)-- -
High Wire-23-89
Maria-- --
Be Good Johnny-3-8
Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Jive2812 -6
Overkill3365
Man With Two Hearts-- --
Snakes And Ladders----
Down By The Sea-- --

10 of the 16 tracks here are good; I prefer the 5 songs from Cargo: It's A Mistake, Upstairs In My House, High Wire, Dr. Heckyll & Mr. Jive, and Overkill. From Business As Usual, I like Who Can it Be Now?, Be Good Johnny, and Down By The Sea. I never have liked the band's biggest hit, Down Under. Also, the 5 tracks from Two Hearts aren't up to snuff (which explains that album's weak performance on the charts and with the critics).

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I had Business As Usual on LP and dubbed a tape of Cargo from a friend's LP. I've already recounted my story of searching for Who Can It Be Now? in a previous blog post. And I still have some of the band's pinbacks that surely must have adorned my clothing in high school.



Previously revisited for the blog:
Colin Hay - Man @ Work (2003)

No comments:

Post a Comment