Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, October 26, 2012

Wynton Marsalis - Carnaval (1987)


Marsalis, on cornet instead of trumpet, is accompanied by the Eastman Wind Ensemble directed by Donald Hunsberger. As the cover art implies, Marsalis tried to recreate the feeling of old-time community bands in Middle America parks in the early part of the 20th century. I wasn't around then, so I can't say whether he was successful or not.

About 25 years too late, I recently came to the self-realization that I'm not a band person. So, while the technique on this album is excellent (downright dazzling at times), this stuff really isn't my bag anymore and I'm beginning to wonder if it ever was.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:  The first track, Variations Sur "Le Carnaval De Venise," is a fun barn-burner of a piece. Also, the circular breathing technique used in Moto Perpetuo, Op. 11 is impressive - I never could get the hang of doing that.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  Many of these pieces were printed in the back of the Arban's book, a method book that is used by most trumpet students. I worked my way through a few of them but, naturally, they never sounded like this.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Two Men with the Blues (2008)
Standard Time, Vol. 4: Marsalis Plays Monk (1999)
Joe Cool's Blues (1995)
Uptown Ruler: Soul Gestures in Southern Blue, Vol. 2 (1991)
The Original Soundtrack From Tune In Tomorrow... (1990)
Crescent City Christmas Card (1989)
Baroque Music for Trumpets (1988)
J Mood (1986)
Black Codes (From The Underground) (1985)
Trumpet Concertos (1983)

No comments:

Post a Comment