Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Best of Earth, Wind & Fire, Vol. 1 (1978)


Even though this disc has been supplanted in my collection by The Eternal Dance box set, I can't get rid of it. This disc is particularly notable for the inclusion of the cover of the Beatles' Got To Get You Into My Life (one of the greatest covers of all time) and the wonderful September (one of the greatest songs of the '70s and my favorite song by EWF). Great stuff here. So even though I have all these songs on other CDs, I won't offer you my copy of this compilation.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #6 (Jan 27, 1979)
  • Billboard R&B: #3
  • CashBox: #6
  • Rolling Stone: #4


Tracks: Rated A for awesome. Check it:

SongHot 100R&B
Got To Get You Into My Life91
Fantasy32 12
Can't Hide Love3911
Love Music- -
Getaway121
That's The Way Of The World12 5
September81
Shining Star1 1
Reasons--
Singasong5 1

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: September always reminds me of playing on the school basketball team in 7th grade. I will probably listen to September at least three more times this morning before putting this CD away.

Exclusive CD longbox photo courtesy of
Dirk Digglinator of the Hambonian Archives.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Illumination (2005)
The Eternal Dance (1992)
I Am (1979)
All 'N All (1977)

No comments:

Post a Comment