Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, August 13, 2012

Harry Connick, Jr. - Music from the Motion Picture When Harry Met Sally (1989)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a cassette tape, later replaced by a CD.

Harry crooning standards. Although this music perfectly fits the movie, this is the rare soundtrack album that truly succeeds as a stand-alone release. That could be because most of these recordings weren't actually heard in the movie. A true soundtrack would have been heavy on Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong; and it would be fun to piece together an actual soundtrack compilation (like I did here for Sixteen Candles). But no matter - it's still a great album. Recorded around the same time as 20, this is a great companion CD to that. It's my favorite Connick jazz album, although I still prefer the NOLA funk of She.

Reviews/ratings:
  • Rolling Stone (★★★½): "a winning showcase for those unfortunate millions who've yet to discover him."
  • Stereo Review: "a very talented young man"
  • The Rolling Stone Jazz & Blues Album Guide (1999): ★★★★

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #42
Peak on the Billboard Pop CD chart: #14

Tracks: My favorites with vocals are Love Is Here To Stay, Don't Get Around Much Anymore, Let's Call The Whole Thing Off. My favorite instrumentals are Stompin' At The Savoy, Winter Wonderland, and It Had To Be You.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My new bride and I saw this movie in Carrollton not long after we were married. We loved it and had decided to buy the soundtrack before we left the theater.

Previously revisited for the blog:
She (1994)
When My Heart Finds Christmas (1993)
20 (1988)

No comments:

Post a Comment