Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Sly and the Family Stone - Different Strokes by Different Folks (2006)


I don't know exactly what to make of this hot mess. Is it a cover album or a tribute album or a remix album or just a blatant attempt to cash in on Stone's skills without coming up with anything original? Too much looping and too many drum machines for me. The original songs don't need updating; they're fresh enough as is. This review says it better than I could: www.popmatters.com

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: The only track that bears repeated listening is Family Affair, but after listening to the whole CD you'll go back to your collection looking for the original recordings to get the taste out of your mouth.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I bought this at a Best Buy on the way home from a grad school class and listened to it on the drive. Today's listening is the second time I've heard it.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Fresh (1973)

No comments:

Post a Comment