Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Ultravox - The Collection (1985)


"COLLECTION" WEEK (JUNE 4-10, 2012)

Over a 14 year span (1980-1993), this New Wave band reached the Top 40 seventeen times in their native UK. However, they never reached the Top 40 in the US, having only one single breaking the Hot 100 (Reap The Wild Wind peaked at #71 on April 30, 1983). So, while their presence in the US was nearly nonexistent, those of us that were on the periphery of the whole electronic scene in the early '80s eventually discovered this band.

This compilation only covers the years 1980-1985, focusing on the band's most recognizable incarnation, fronted by Midge Ure. However, since those are the years I was listening to this band, that's fine with me. The music is very synth-based and usually in moody minor keys with Ure's haunting voice or Billy Currie's electric violin taking center stage. Curiously, this electronic band used a drum machine only occasionally. While I enjoy Ultravox's music, I usually only like it in small doses - 6 or 7 songs and I'm ready to move on to something else.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: My favorite tracks come from the 1982 Quartet album (Hymn, Reap The Wild Wind, We Came To Dance) and the 1980 album, Vienna (the title track, Sleepwalk, and All Stood Still). Not coincidentally, those are the two Ultravox albums I owned as LPs back in high school. Also good is The Voice and One Small Day. Weaker cuts include Passing Strangers and Lament.


YearUKUS
Dancing With Tears In My Eyes19843108
Hymn198211-
The Thin Wall198114-
The Voice198116-
Vienna19812-
Passing Strangers198057-
Sleepwalk198029-
Reap The Wild Wind19821271
All Stood Still19818-
Visions In Blue198315-
We Came To Dance198318-
One Small Day198427-
Love's Great Adventure198412-
Lament198422-


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Even though it wasn't released as a single, I wish they had included Mr. X from the Vienna album. That creepy song fascinated me as a 16 year old wannabe Waver. Now it just amuses me.

In high school, I earned spending money by working at Burger King. As I was cleaning the kitchen one night after closing, Reap The Wild Wind came on the radio. Naturally, I sang along. After that, my co-workers called me "Punk Rock." I'm sure they still wouldn't get the difference between Ultravox and punk music, but I still enjoy that story because I remember them calling me that nickname without any sense of irony.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Extended: A Collection of 12" Remixes (1998)

No comments:

Post a Comment