Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Joe Jackson - Look Sharp! (1979)


Note: the CD I listened to was 1990 Audio Master Plus Series version.

Before I talk about the music, I have to say that is a great album cover - one of my all-time favorites. In 1991, Rolling Stone magazine ranked it #22 on its list of 100 Classic Album Covers (Issue 617).

This outstanding debut album rocks pretty hard but shows Jackson's gift for pop songwriting. Because of timing, Jackson was grouped with Elvis Costello and Graham Parker, but I think better comparisons would be The Clash or The Knack. Lots of punk and reggae/ska influences. Just great music from a tight band on the leading edge of the New Wave.

Press of the time:
  • CashBox: "Jackson is a more mainstream (albeit angry) singer/songwriter in the Elvis Costello vein."
  • Rolling Stone: "head-turning debut"
  • Smash Hits (7 out of 10): "well worth checking out"
  • Stereo Review: "rock-and-roll predicated on both melody and riff"
  • Robert Christgau (B): "In which an up-and-coming professional entertainer tricks up Britain's latest rock and roll fashion with some fancy chords and gets real intense about the perils of romance."
  • Slash: "Watch out kids, here comes the first of the Elvis Costello copyists."


Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #20
  • CashBox: #24
  • Rolling Stone: #22

Tracks: I enjoy the whole album and don't skip anything, but for me, the top tracks are Sunday Papers, Is She Really Going Out With Him?, Baby Stick Around, Pretty Girls, and Got The Time. In other words, the album starts and ends strong - great sequencing. Is is just me or does Baby Stick Around steal its hook from Time Warp from Rocky Horror Picture Show?


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I didn't have this album back in high school. I fell in love with Night and Day and I'm surprised I didn't go buy Jackson's entire back catalog. I bought this CD only a few years ago when I saw it in a used bin (I'm guessing the person that traded it in either has no taste or bought the 2001 reissue). I should have bought it way back when. Wouldacouldashoulda.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Rain (2008)
Volume 4 (2003)
Night And Day II (2000)
Tucker: The Man And His Dream Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (1988)
Body and Soul (1984)
Night and Day (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment