Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Vangelis - Blade Runner (1994)


From the CD liner notes:
Most of the music contained in this album originates from recordings I made in London in 1982, whilst working on the score for the film BLADE RUNNER. Finding myself unable to release these recordings at the time; it is with great pleasure that I am able to do so now. Some of the pieces contained will be known to you from the Original Soundtrack of the film, whilst others are appearing here for the first time. Looking back at RIDLEY SCOTT's powerful and evocative pictures left me as stimulated as before, and made the recompiling of this music, today, an enjoyable experience. -VANGELIS, Athens, April 1994
So it's not exactly a soundtrack. And check out the first word of the quote - "most" - which means some of this is original music? I don't get it and I'm not interested enough to figure out exactly what's what. There's also a long history involving contracts and the release of this music. If you have any interest in that, go check out the wikipedia entry. When some of this music was written in the early '80s, Vangelis had been recording for over a decade, but he was the hot new soundtrack composer due to his Academy Award winning score for Chariots Of Fire. This soundtrack is much moodier and dark than Chariots Of Fire (which suits the movie perfectly), but it's basically the same synth New Age noodling. Both soundtracks have been nominated by the AFI for their list of the 250 greatest film scores. Not bad for a self-taught musician who is musically illiterate (he can't read or write music notation). Since I haven't seen the movie in years, I don't think of this much as soundtrack music, but just good rainy day music.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: It's all fairly slow and without much melody in an ambient kind of way. The Love Theme, with a saxophone solo, is what I remember from the movie and its good in a film noir-ish kind of way. There's a 1940's knock-off, One More Kiss Dear, which is (at least) one of the many cuts of the movie, but it is out of place on this album.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: When my friends and I saw this movie at the theater in 1982, we loved both the movie and this soundtrack. I worked at Burger King at the time would spend my earnings buying 2 to 3 LP's a week back then. Naturally, I sought out a Blade Runner soundtrack LP. Due to contract mess, the studio didn't release the Vangelis recordings, but instead, hired a group of musicians dubbed The New American Orchestra to record the official LP released at the time (below). That wasn't good enough for me, so I passed, but my friend Scott picked up a copy. I listened to it and was very disappointed. I made the right call on that one. Unfortunately, by the time I purchased this CD, my fascination with the movie had long passed.


The movie is set in 2019. I don't think we're on track for the 2019 depicted in the movie. Thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment