Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Shemekia Copeland - Turn The Heat Up (1998)


The impressive debut album from the daughter of blues guitarist and singer Johnny "Clyde" Copeland. Only 19 when this was released, Copeland sings a blend of roadhouse blues-rock and R&B with an amazingly powerful voice that belies her age. Copeland was born in Harlem, and, like me, she spent a lot of time on the streets where she got her edge. Except, in my case, replace the word "streets" with "church choir parties" and "edge" with "finger sandwiches." Her backing band is top notch and the always reliable Uptown Horns appear on 3 tracks. The production is a little too clean for my tastes (I like my blues a little grittier), but a thoroughly enjoyable disc, perfect for a hot summer night.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: Did not chart
  • Billboard Blues: #11

Tracks:  My picks are I Always Get My Man, My Turn Baby (with guest vocals and guitar from Joe Louis Walker), Your Mama's Talking, Big Lovin' Woman, and My Kind Of Guy. The ballads here (Salt In My Wounds, Ghetto Child, and Married To The Blues) are good enough, just not my thing.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD:  None, although I'd definitely go see her live. I bet she tears the roof off.

No comments:

Post a Comment