Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Seal - IV (2003)


Probably the least favorite Seal album that I own (currently, I don't have any of his albums after 2004). It also contains one of my favorite Seal singles, Waiting For You. I believe Seal (or Warner Bros) scrapped an entire album in 2001, tentatively titled Togetherland, then recorded this. If it weren't Seal, this would be a pretty good pop album, but since my expectations are so high for Seal, this is a bit of a disappointment.

Here's the best description I've read of Seal's music, coming from critic David Medsker:
Sealhenry Samuel has always been a little bit out of his time. He writes folk songs, belts them out like a penniless soul singer, and then has Trevor Horn produce them, guaranteeing that by the time Horn is finished with them, they will sound absolutely nothing like either folk or soul. His songs are passionate and deeply heartfelt, yet hits the music scene in 1990, one of the most soulless years in pop music history.
I can't add anything to that. The problem with this album, though, isn't the performances or the production, it's the material. Overall, the writing just isn't as strong as previous releases.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #3 (Sept 27, 2003)

Tracks: Waiting For You is easily the best cut here. The first track, Get It Together, is a fun disco romp. Also good are My Vision, the waltz of Don't Make Me Wait, and Loneliest Star. I usually skip Love's Devine and the reggae-lite of Where There's Gold.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This is the first album I can recall that was available in its entirety streaming through the artist's website. Before I bought the CD, I often streamed it into my newly built office in the cotton fields of El Maton.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Human Being (1998)
Seal (1991)

No comments:

Post a Comment