Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Keb' Mo' (1994)


This debut blues album (Keb' previously released an R&B album in 1980 under his birth name, Kevin Moore) has been called "gritty country blues" but I think it would better be described as blues-pop. I enjoy Keb's guitar playing and his voice is perfect for the blues. His songwriting isn't bad, either. And, of course, he covers the requisite Robert Johnson tunes which all bluesmen include on their albums. It's a nice blend of solo acoustic blues and, on other tracks, full band. Being born in the Delta myself, I'm a fan. This guy understands the blues, which is unusual for someone born and raised in Los Angeles. This album won the W.C. Handy Award for Best Country/Acoustic Blues Album of the Year.

Rolling Stone, December 15, 1994, p. 98

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: Nothing to skip here. My favorite cut is Am I Wrong. Other outstanding tracks are Love Blues, Angelina, Kindhearted Woman Blues, and the gospel-tinged Don't Try To Explain.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Perfect for porch sittin' and I speak from experience.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Live And Mo' (2009)
Peace...Back by Popular Demand (2004)
Just Like You (1996)

No comments:

Post a Comment