Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

New Order - Waiting For The Sirens' Call (2005)


This band's music never changed too much over their eight studio albums and that's fine with me. Bassist Peter Hook left the band after this CD. The remaining members stayed together as Bad Lieutenant. After hearing the 2009 Bad Lieutenant CD, I realize that the band's sound is as dependent on Peter Hook's plangent bass playing as it is on Bernard Sumner's immediately recognizable voice and terrible lyrics. Not to worry, there's plenty of both here. There aren't many all out dance hits here, but what did you expect from 50 year old men? The music definitely leans more to mid-tempo pop. Metacritic rates the album at a 63; I think that's low, but not by much.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #46

Tracks: This CD is definitely front-loaded. It starts off with four solid tracks, including the best song on the CD, Krafty (yes, that's a not-too-subtle tip o' the cap to Kraftwerk). After those four, the best tracks are Morning Night And Day and the very catchy Jetstream, which features Scissor Sisters member Ana Matronic on backing vocals.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I purchased this disc within a week of its release in April 2005. I was in graduate school and needed new music for the long commute to campus. This fit the bill nicely. As far as road music is concerned, this is above average. I think I'm taking this disc directly from here to my truck's CD player.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Get Ready (2001)
Bizarre Love Triangle (1986)

No comments:

Post a Comment