Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, February 6, 2012

Bill Withers' Greatest Hits (1981)


GREATEST HITS FORTNIGHT (FEBRUARY 6-19, 2012)

Withers is an underrated soul singer/songwriter although his biggest #1 hit, 1971's Lean On Me, probably continues to supply him with a steady income. He was a staple on '70s radio (at least where I lived) and this CD contains the 5 songs of his that I remember from the '70s. I've heard good things about his 1973 live album and the 2009 documentary film about his life, Still Bill. I should check those out (I just added Still Bill to my Netflix queue).

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #183
Peak on Billboard R&B albums chart: #58
Peak on CashBox album chart: #187

Tracks: At 10 tracks, 36 minutes, this is a brief compilation, but includes two fantastic songs: Just The Two Of Us and Lovely Day, either one of which I could hear multiple consecutive times and not mind a bit. The version of Just The Two Of Us (with saxophonist Grover Washington, Jr.) included here is the shorter radio edit, so it's only 4 minutes instead of 7½. I also like the 1972 hits Use Me and Who Is He (And What Is He To You)? I was unfamiliar with I Want To Spend The Night With You and Hello Like Before, but they've got an enjoyable soft pop sound to them. I know Ain't No Sunshine and Lean On Me are classics, but I've tired of them because they've been overplayed over the past 40 years.

SongYearHot 100R&B
Just The Two Of Us198123
Use Me197222
Ain't No Sunshine197136
Lovely Day1977306
I Want To Spend The Night1977

Soul Shadows1980
41
Lean On Me197211
Grandma's Hands19714218
Hello Like Before1975

Who Is He What Is He To You1972



Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I barely remember Lovely Day from the radio in '77 when it peaked at #30. However, it was used in a TV ad about 10 years ago (for Gap khakis if memory serves) which prompted the purchase of this CD. I've reached that age when a person just automatically wakes up early in the morning, but if I used an alarm clock, I'd use Lovely Day to wake up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment