Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Take 6 (1988)


The group's debut album, to me, is still their best. I had never heard anything like it before. I've never heard anything like it since. Surely the first a capella album I ever purchased, it's also the first gospel album I ever bought. This album won Grammys in both jazz and gospel categories. The group then went on to experiment with adding instruments to their sound (they were trying to grow, I get it), but I prefer their straight-up a capella sound.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard 200: #71
  • Billboard R&B: #41

Tracks: It's too short - 10 tracks in under 37 minutes, but I never skip a track. Ever. My favorites are Spread Love, If We Ever, He Never Sleeps, and Let The Words.

For more information on the brief life of the CD longbox,
go visit The Legend of the Longbox.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I bought this CD after seeing the video for the song Spread Love on VH1 in 1988 (didn't they have a "jazz brunch" or something similar program back then?). I was fascinated with the a capella vocal harmonies and listen to the CD several times the day of purchase. At that time, I would wake up in the middle of the night and all I could hear in my mind's ear were these harmonies. I didn't mind. In fact, I wish that would happen again. These days, when I wake up in the middle of the night, needless thoughts of my job enter my mind and disturb my slumber.

When I think of what I was listening to in 1988, it ranges from Top 40 to dance to indie to neoclassical to fusion to jazz to Take 6 and everything in between. I was much more open-minded about music back then and I was excited to try anything and everything new. I'd at least give new music a chance before dismissing it. I don't do that anymore and that bothers me. I'm getting old and set in my ways, but regarding new music, I'd like to return to my 1988 mindset.

Previously revisited for the blog:
The Standard (2008)
Brothers (1996)
He Is Christmas (1991)
So Much 2 Say (1990)

No comments:

Post a Comment