Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Norman Brown - West Coast Coolin' (2004)


GEOGRAPHY WEEK (JANUARY 8-14, 2012)

Not a bad urban jazz CD, but certainly not a great one. More than half of the tunes have Brown's vocals on them and I find myself thinking, "Shut up 'n play yer guitar" (apologies to Frank Zappa). The vocal tracks are an obvious attempt at getting radio play, so are more neo-soul than jazz. Brown does much better when he's getting in touch with his inner George Benson because when he plays guitar, it's fantastic. However, I recommend listening to the samples before purchasing this one (I'm looking at you, Krista).

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #160

Tracks: The album gets off to a bad start with the first track, but quickly redeems itself with Up 'N' At 'Em and the title track. Jerry Hey makes a tasty contribution to Missin' You on flügelhorn. For the most part, the instrumental tracks are better than the vocal tracks, but a few of the vocal tracks are good including Let's Play, Right Now, and the cover of What's Going On. Skip the tracks Angel and Come Over.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This music has kept me company in my office more times than I could count.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Celebration (1999)

No comments:

Post a Comment