Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Earl Klugh - Midnight in San Juan (1991)


Latin and Carribean flavored light jazz from the master of the understated acoustic guitar. Nice contributions from harmonica player Toots Thielemans and pianists Richard Tee and Eliane Elias. When I picked this up, I was expecting something more along the lines of the wonderful Late Night Guitar. This isn't as good as that album, but it has few good cuts on it.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #189
  • Billboard R&B: #96
  • CashBox Jazz: #2

Tracks: For a jazz artist, Klugh has a remarkable ear for melody. The title track is good, as is She Never Said Why, Jamaican Winds, and Take You There. I skip Every Moment With You because of the horrible arrangement.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: This is yet another Klugh CD that I picked up from the used CD bin. It would seem that not everyone likes Klugh's sound as much as I do.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Volume One (1991)
Soda Fountain Shuffle (1985)
Two of a Kind (1982)
Late Night Guitar (1980)

No comments:

Post a Comment