Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Essential Fishbone (2003)


Fishbone's music has been described as ska, alternative, rock, funk, and soul, but really they're just a party band. This greatest hits compilation is a solid introduction to the six piece band, covering recordings from 1984-93. It usually just stays in my truck in case I need some party music as I drive to/from campus.

A recent documentary about the band, Everyday Sunshine, is getting good reviews.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: My favorite tracks are Cholly, A Movement In The Light, Bonin' In The Boneyard, Everyday Sunshine, Change, Lemon Meringue, the aforementioned Lyin' Ass Bitch, Sunless Saturday, and a nice cover of Curtis Mayfield's 1972 song, Freddie's Dead. If I skip any songs, I might skip It's A Wonderful Life or Fight The Youth.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My buddy Blake is a true Fishbone soldier, but I was unfamiliar with the band until I met Blake in 2004. Based on his recommendation, I bought this CD without ever hearing the band. That decision turned out to be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment