Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Christmas with Babyface (1998)


I don't know what I was expecting, because this CD sounds exactly like you think it would. Babyface was certainly a hitmaker in the '90s, not only for himself, but also Toni Braxton, Whitney Houston, TLC, etc. This album has some enjoyable mellow R&B grooves, but, to me, it's just not very Christmas-y. Maybe it's because not all songs lend themselves to a New Jack groove, especially Christmas standards written prior to 1950.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #101 (Dec 26, 1998)

Tracks: This CD doesn't get listened to very often and none of the 10 tracks have been ripped to my iTunes. If I had to pick a favorite track, I'd go with I'll Be Home For Christmas. The worst track is the pseudo-reggae version of The Little Drummer Boy. It's also a bit disturbing to hear Silent Night sung like a romantic ballad. The sole original track, You Were There, has no lyrics about Christmas (or winter, for that matter). It was part of the soundtrack for the movie Simon Birch and I have no idea what it is doing on a Christmas CD.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment