Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, November 28, 2011

The Reverend Al Green - Everything's OK (2005)


In preparation for my trip to Memphis this weekend, I'm turning my attention to one of the city's most famous residents, The Reverend Green. Green made a secular comeback of sorts in 2003 with the back-to-basics release, I Can't Stop. This is more of the same, with Willie Mitchell producing recordings made at his Royal Studios in Memphis. Even though Green uses his honorific on this release, it is not a gospel album. It is great classic soul music with a lush, updated sound. Green is still in great form. As Tim Sendra writes: "Green hasn't lost a step vocally. In fact, it sounds like he has gained a step somehow; his crazed screams, hollered interjections, and whoops of joy seem more assured and his falsetto is clear and strong." Because this release is very similar to I Can't Stop, comparisons are inevitable. I just can't make a decision as to which is the better CD.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #50

Tracks: Of the 12 tracks here, my favorites are the title track and Be My Baby. I was skeptical when I saw that Green was covering the classic ballad, You Are So Beautiful, but his performance makes it sound like that song was written just for him. While the music is all very similar, there's nothing worth skipping. My only complaint would be the large number of slow tempo tracks included here.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None, this is a recent purchase.

Previously revisited for the blog:
I Can't Stop (2003)
Greatest Gospel Hits (2000)

No comments:

Post a Comment