Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Joe Jackson - Tucker: The Man And His Dream Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (1988)


Soundtrack for Francis Ford Coppola's 1988 film. The album earned Jackson a Grammy nomination for Best Album of Original Instrumental Background Score Written for a Motion Picture or TV. I liked Jackson and I liked the movie, so why not pick up this soundtrack, right? Wrong. All we've got is music derivative of '40s swing (listen to track 16, The Trial - it uses so much of Sophisticated Lady that Duke Ellington should have gotten a writing credit and royalties). Jackson had already done it better with his 1981 Jumpin' Jive album and I didn't even care for that much. So I have absolutely NO idea what's going on here:


I'll admit that the soundtrack supports the mood and period of the movie, so I guess it is successful on those terms, it's just not something I normally listen to.

Tracks: 18 tracks in 44 minutes, so things move pretty fast. The only track that caught my ear was the tasteful piano ballad, Marilee.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I remember seeing the movie in the summer of '88, but no memories come with this CD. This is only the second time I've listened to it.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Rain (2008)
Volume 4 (2003)
Body and Soul (1984)
Night and Day (1982)

No comments:

Post a Comment