Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Nick Drake - Five Leaves Left (1969)


Like many people, I'm a relative newcomer to Nick Drake. I don't consider myself a fan of folk music, but I'm a big fan of Drake, who transcends the genre. His songwriting is melancholy and dark, but beautiful nonetheless. Add Drake's haunting voice and you've got music that is simultaneously depressing, uplifting, infectious, and relaxing. This debut album was recorded when Drake was only 20 years old, five years before his suicide in 1974. This is one of those CDs that you have to absolutely be in the right mood to listen to, otherwise it's too much and unbearable.

Update: In 2017, it was ranked at #61 on Pitchfork's list of the 200 Best Albums of the 1960s.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: While they're all good, my favorites are Time Has Told Me, River Man, Cello Song, and Man In A Shed.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I purchased the popular soundtrack to Garden State after seeing the movie. The soundtrack introduced me to several artists, including Nick Drake. I bought his 3 albums in one swoop and haven't been disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment