Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, September 23, 2011

Anita Baker - My Everything (2004)


After a decade-long hiatus, the urban adult soul songstress Anita Baker returned with this album, her Blue Note debut. It's no Rapture, but it is much better than 1994's Rhythm Of Love. This music is timeless. One could easily say that almost all of Baker's music sounds the same (if ain't broke...), but I think that's a compliment. The down tempo mix of R&B, soul, pop, and jazz is always good, but the real star is Baker's sultry voice which never disappoints. So tasteful and controlled. An admirable return but nothing since - how about something new, babe?


Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #4 (Sept 25, 2004)

Tracks: Of the 10 tracks here, I like you're My Everything, How Could You, and the mixed meter gospel-tinged I Can't Sleep. My favorite track is How Does It Feel. The songs Serious and Close Your Eyes fall short. The duet with Babyface, Like You Used To Do isn't that good musically and the lyrics ("You were my weezy/You were my boo") don't help.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Compositions (1990)
Rapture (1986)

No comments:

Post a Comment