Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Squeeze - Domino (1998)


I'd like to say that Squeeze never put out a bad album, but I have to admit that this isn't their best moment. Nothing really clicks here. Just when I think a melody or chord progression is going to give me that little characteristic Squeeze twist, it doesn't. On earlier albums, my favorite tunes were those that grew on me after repeated listenings. I originally thought this album would be the same, but after repeated listenings, I just grew more and more disheartened at the mediocre pop songwriting from Difford & Tilbrook. I'm disappointed more than anything else. From what I read, Difford & Tilbrook were disappointed in the effort as well. I guess after 3 decades of quality, they were due for slump and I'll forgive them this one. I'd like to say they bounced back nicely with their next studio album of original material, but they haven't put out one of those since this debacle.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: The only tracks that would even have been considered for previous Squeeze albums would be Domino, In The Morning, and Little King. I avoid the others. They're not painful to sit through (except for Short Break), it's just that, after a minute or so, you're ready to see what else you can listen to.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

Previously revisited for the blog:
Some Fantastic Place (1993)
Babylon and On (1987)
Argybargy (1980)

No comments:

Post a Comment