Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Dave Matthews Band - Stand Up (2005)


Every now and then, Dave and the band take a break from putting out live CDs and release a studio album. I almost gave up on Dave after two consecutive releases that I didn't enjoy: 2002's Busted Stuff and 2003's Some Devil, both of which I've sold so you won't see those CDs on this blog. But I saw this on sale at Soundwaves on Montrose Blvd and gave Dave another chance. 

Most hard-core DMB fans dislike this album because the production by Mark Batson (Dr. Dre, Eminem, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Alicia Keys, etc.) is not what they are accustomed to. While it does sound pieced together and overly-looped at times, I prefer it to their meandering jam albums. Someone's got to reign in the band for those of us that aren't stoned when we listen to DMB. I think the songwriting is better on this release than most DMB CDs and I credit that, at least partially, to the producer. The reaction from the critics was mixed. Entertainment Weekly loved it, giving it a grade of A- while allmusic.com gave it only 2 of 5 stars. Metacritic has it rated at 63. I put myself somewhere in the middle.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #1

Tracks: I like Dreamgirl, Old Dirt Hill, Stand Up, Louisiana Bayou, Steady As We Go, and Hunger For The Great Light. Out Of My Hands with its ostinato upbeats on the pitch A 220 is hauntingly beautiful. Worth skipping are American Baby Intro and You Might Die Trying.


Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Reminds me of the summer of 2005 when I was in graduate school at the University of Houston. This is definitely a summer CD.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Weekend on the Rocks (2005)
Live at Folsom Field, Boulder, Colorado (2002)

1 comment: