Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Bebel Gilberto (2004)


I've already gushed about Bebel Gilberto once on this blog, so beware of more gushing here. I love Gilberto's first CD, Tanto Tempo, even though it was a bit uneven. Her second full-length CD of originals is even better than Tanto Tempo. She has found the style she is most comfortable with and made a complete album that focuses on her strengths: light, relaxed Brazilian pop/bossa nova sounds and her sexy, breathy alto voice. For the most part, the production stays away from electronica that crept into her previous release. Her gorgeous voice is put up front in the mix. That's always a gamble, put it really pays off here. If I had any complaint, it would be that there aren't enough songs sung in Portuguese. All in all, another home run for Gilberto: no filler, no crossover mess, just simple bossa. I realize it may not be everyone, but I find it incredibly relaxing.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #154 (June 26, 2004)

Tracks: The writers/arrangers on this CD have really outdone themselves. The lilting flute dancing atop River Song, the simple guitar accompaniment of Every Day You've Been Away, the trombone/flute duet on Winter, they all just fit. Gilberto's songwriting has gotten stronger, as evidenced by Simplesmente, a beautiful melody over a haunting chord progression. Not a weak track to be found here.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Every time I listen to Bebel Gilberto, I inevitably think, "I need to listen to Bebel Gilberto more often."

No comments:

Post a Comment