Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Al Green - I Can't Stop (2003)


Longtime readers of the blog know of my affinity for classic soul music, especially Memphis soul (both Stax and Hi sounds). If you thought that sort of music didn't survive the '70s, just check out the Bo-Keys, the City Champs, or this disc. Released on Blue Note(?!), this is a return to Green's 70's roots with producer/arranger Willie Mitchell. When it was released, this album took a beating from some critics that complained that it all sounded like the same ole Al Green. That's a bad thing? It is great to hear these horn/string arrangements, Green crooning up to his trademark falsetto moans, and some incredible B-3 playing by Robert Clayborne. Just because a musician sticks with what he knows and doesn't want to stick a rap in the middle of a CD in order to sell it to the younger audience doesn't mean that the artist doesn't still have something to offer. This is the real deal direct from Royal Studios, classic music from a great musician.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #53 (Dec 6, 2003)

Tracks: My favorite tracks are I Can't Stop, I've Been Waitin' On You, Million to One, and I'd Still Choose You. There's no track I want to skip, although My Problem Is You and Too Many seem strangely out of place here.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Nothing specific comes to mind, but I remember being really happy when this came out.

Previously revisited for the blog:
Greatest Gospel Hits (2000)

No comments:

Post a Comment