Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Heaven 17 - Before After (2005)


"OLD DOGS, NEW TRICKS" WEEK (MAY 1-7, 2011)

I was a big fan of Heaven 17 back in high school, particularly their first two albums, which were filled with great electronic dance music. Starting with their third album, they started getting more experimental and started to lose me. After a few releases of average music (including Bigger Than America), the group gets back to their roots: techno/funk/soul/dance tunes, and good ones. However, they've updated their sound for the new millennium. You won't find analog synths here. My sons wouldn't like this music, but they're not the target audience. This is music is for balding middle-aged men like the one in my mirror and that guy loves it.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: I'm disappointed in the 38 minute play time. The opener I'm Gonna Make You Fall In Love Me sounds like a Prince tune; I can't sit still. Other great dance tracks are Hands Up to Heaven, The Way It Is, Deeper and Deeper, The band also covers the Blue Öyster Cult classic Don't Fear the Reaper and I'm not sure if they did it as a tongue-in-cheek joke, but somehow they pull it off. Don't bother with the last two tracks, What Would It Take and Someone For Real.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Yelling "More cowbell!" every time Don't Fear The Reaper comes on, just like you do.



No comments:

Post a Comment