Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tom Scott - Reed My Lips (1994)


After releasing a CD which got back to his West Coast jazz roots (1992's Born Again), Scott returned to his blend of funk and smooth jazz on this release. Some of the music hasn't aged well, is over-produced and uses synth drums instead of real musicians. And while not as great as 1981's Apple Juice (my personal Tom Scott fav), it has some memorable work. It amazes me that, in the '90s, labels were continuing to release CDs that clock in at 40 minutes. Old habits are hard to break, I guess.

Billboard, January 22, 1994, p. 60

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: Did not chart
  • Billboard Top Contemporary Jazz: #3
  • Billboard R&B: #100
  • CashBox Jazz: #2

Tracks: Some of the tracks are throwaway filler, but I enjoy most of the work here. There are more vocals than usual on a smooth jazz CD, but at least one of those songs, Sarah Sarah, is good. I also enjoy Every Day And Every Minute (with bass flute!), G.B.U., and Hollywood Walk. Even as cheesy as it is, I have to admit I like the song Walk A Mile. The throwaway filler includes Jungle Wave, which was doomed from the time someone picked that title. I could surely do without the self-indulgent final track, Saxapella.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment