Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Earl Klugh - Late Night Guitar (1980)


Note: this release was originally purchased as a LP, later replaced by a CD.

The title says all you need to know. This all-too-brief album is a great marriage of acoustic guitar and occasional strings performing mostly standards. A very relaxing, mellow, sensuous CD to be listened to late at night.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #98
  • Billboard Jazz: #4
  • Billboard R&B: #40
  • CashBox: #85
  • CashBox Jazz: #2

Tracks: 13 songs, only 36 minutes. While they are all good, my favorites are Smoke Gets In Your Eyes, Jamaica Farewell, Mona Lisa, and Two For The Road.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I was introduced to this album by my dear friend Richard Longoria and I always think of him when I listen to it. Richard was a hopeless romantic and considered this album to be a musical aphrodisiac. Sadly, he left this world in 1991. I miss him terribly and still think of him often.

No comments:

Post a Comment