Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dave Matthews Band - Weekend on the Rocks (2005)


"LIVE IN CONCERT" WEEK (FEBRUARY 7-13, 2011)

Recorded at Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison CO, September 9–12, 2005.

As I mentioned while reviewing another DMB live CD, I don't care much for jam bands and I think the DMB is at its best when the band is reigned in to 3 or 4 minute pop/rock songs. Still, since I'm a fan of 2005's Stand Up CD and guitarist Robert Randolph, I figured this might be a good pick up for me. In some ways, yes, in other ways, no. Set includes a bonus DVD.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #37 (Dec 17, 2005)

Tracks:
Disc 1: Not much on this disc for me. American Baby is okay, but the cover of the Zombies' Time Of The Season is senseless because it just isn't a good fit with Matthews' vocal range (although I will say that guest Butch Taylor plays a mean B3). The obligatory drum solo makes its appearance on Say Goodbye, which is otherwise a good track. The pairing of Steady As We Go and Hunger For The Great Light is enjoyable, but the final track is a 16 minute version of Bartender that is painful for me to sit through, mainly because Matthews yells instead of sings. If I wanted to be yelled at, I'd go to work. Dave's hardcore fans seem to love Bartender; maybe I'd feel differently about the song if I didn't bathe and smoked a bowl before listening to it.

Disc 2: More songs I like on this disc: Don't Burn The Pig, Stand Up (For It), Smooth Rider, Louisiana Bayou, and Everyday. I like the song #41, but not 15 minutes worth - I wonder how long the 12" remix is.

DVD: This disc is the highlight for me. It's fun watching these musicians play together, because you can tell that they're having a great time. I forget how good a guitar player Matthews is until I'm reminded by these videos. His playing looks effortless. Except for the Zombies' cover (again), I'm a fan of all the songs on here. If this were recorded as a CD instead of a DVD, it would be DMB's best live CD ever. Jimi Thing gives trumpeter Rashawn Ross some time to stretch out and, let me tell you, he's got some mad chops. The highlight of the DVD is Robert Randolph's guest spot on Louisiana Bayou. I would tell you that this track alone is worth the price of this set, but you can probably see it on YouTube for free. Since the DVD version of Louisiana Bayou is so much better than the CD version, I've always wanted to rip the audio tracks of the DVD. The track listing of the DVD has more of the songs I like on it anyway.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment