Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, February 14, 2011

Chris Botti - When I Fall In Love (2004)


Let me get this out of the way upfront: am I jealous of Chris Botti's talents, success, and good looks? Yes. Now, let's continue:

Botti has a certain sound that has been described as relaxing, peaceful, laid-back, romantic, etc. Sure, there are many trumpet players who play faster, higher, and louder than Botti, but the fact that he knows his limitations, is able to play within himself and still be successful speaks volumes about his musical and self-awareness. I've also always been a fan of standards, so when this CD was released I was hoping to hear Chris put his own signature on these classics - I wasn't disappointed. While I like Botti's CDs of original material, this is covers album may be his best release. Each arrangement is slightly different (5 different arrangers were used), but perfectly suited to the material. The listener is treated to covers of songs from different eras, different moods, different tempi, different accompaniments. I usually don't enjoy trumpet players that use a lot of Harmon mute (cause that was Miles' thing), but it just seems to fit here. Everything just seems to fit here. A solid effort on an obvious labor of love.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #37 (Dec 4, 2004)

Tracks: The title track is a chill take on a standard. I didn't know she was a torch singer, but Paula Cole's turn on What'll I Do is fantastic. The version here of La Belle Dame Sans Regret is far superior to Sting's original. Also outstanding are My Romance, Someone To Watch Over Me, and One For My Baby. Not as successful are Let's Fall In Love and Make Someone Happy .
Two songs are grossly out of place on this CD: the ubiquitous, pseudo-classical Time To Say Goodbye (Con Te Partirò) and one of the two bonus tracks, a lackluster arrangement of Fauré's Pavanne. Simply put, these two don't fit in the genre of the rest of the songs (Fauré was a good composer; his work doesn't really need rearranging) and someone at the record company should have stepped in and fixed the problem before the CD was released.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None. I simply need to listen to this CD more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment