Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Various Artists - Rock On 1984 (1996)


I'm not sure how many years were in this series because this is the only one I own (discogs currently lists 39). 1984 was a good year for me - graduated high school, left home, started university, met my future wife, etc.

Not sure, but I probably bought this CD for the songs I Feel For You, Solid, and Miss Me Blind.

Tracks:
  • Missing You - John Waite (#1 pop, #1 rock, #7 AC, #27 dance)
    I prefer Waite's earlier work, but this isn't a bad single.
  • I Feel for You - Chaka Khan (#3 pop, #1 R&B, #1 dance)
    I absolutely loved it in 1984-85. Written by Prince, rap by Melle Mel, harmonica solo by Stevie Freakin' Wonder. I have to admit to dancing to it right now.
  • Hold Me Now - Thompson Twins (#3 pop, #9 rock, #8 AC)
    Great song. Reminds me of driving in my car listening to the Into The Gap cassette during the spring of my senior year in high school.
  • Sunglasses at Night - Corey Hart (#7 pop, #15 rock, #62 dance)
    I can take it or leave it. Today I feel like leaving it.
  • We Belong - Pat Benatar (#5 pop, #3 rock, #34 AC)
    I was never really much of a Benatar fan.
  • Magic - The Cars (#12 pop, #1 rock)
    Admittedly, I didn't give the album much of a chance, but I remember only liking two songs from Heartbeat City - Hello Again and this song.
  • I Can Dream About You - Dan Hartman (#6 pop, #7 AC, #8 dance)
    I don't think much of this song, but it reminds me of getting into a club in Dallas (Monopoly?) with a fake ID because it was playing when we entered the club.
  • Rock Me Tonite - Billy Squier (#15 pop, #1 rock).
    Not Billy's best effort. The title is ironic since the song doesn't rock much. The video is widely accepted as one of the worst of all-time and is credited with ending Squier's career.
  • Solid - Ashford & Simpson (#12 pop, #1 R&B, #34 AC, #15 dance)
    What a great, uplifting tune.
  • Strut - Sheena Easton (#7 pop, #6 dance)
    I haven't heard this in a while. Not bad. It's a long way from her single Morning Train. I remember her as Crockett's girlfriend on Miami Vice later in the decade.
  • Miss Me Blind - Culture Club (#5 pop, #12 AC, #10 dance)
    I really liked this song when it was released. Some of my friends played in a cover band called Cambrai and they played this song once when I was at a club called Elvira's in BC.
  • Breakdance - Irene Cara (#9 pop, #13 dance)
    Hard to believe this single peaked at #9 as I never heard it before I bought this CD. I have no need to hear it again.
Personal Memory Associated with this CD: Different songs have different memories (see above).

No comments:

Post a Comment