Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Simple Minds - Glittering Prize (1992)


A greatest hits CD covering the years 1981-92. I was a fan in the '80s and missed two separate opportunities to see the group live. As often happens, I bought this greatest hits package to replace the LP's and cassette tapes I had in high school and college but then later purchased the full albums on CD. As a result, I've got multiple recordings of most of these songs. As a compilation, it's very good and, although my preference calls for chronological order, well-sequenced.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: I'll focus on the few songs that I've only heard on this CD. Unfortunately, the group didn't put their early single, The American, on this disc; they understandably stuck with the more commercial music. I really like what they've done with a traditional Irish melody and turned it into a political song with Belfast Child. Also, Stand By Love and See The Lights sound just like all their mid-'80s radio hits; I guess by their 1991 release that sound wasn't popular anymore. Surprisingly, this disc doesn't contain the almost obligatory one new song that appeared on most greatest hits compilations at the time.

Singles ChartYearUKUS
Alive And Kicking198573
See The Lights19912040
Promised You A Miracle198213-
Sanctify Yourself19861014
Belfast Child19891-
Stand By Love199113-
Up On The Catwalk198427-
Let There Be Love19916-
All The Things She Said1986928
Someone, Somewhere In Summertime198236-
Waterfront198313-

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: this reminds me of the spring of 1993. I was married, but this was before children. We were in our first house which had a large living area which had been converted from a garage. I had my stereo in there and listened to this CD while sunlight poured into that room during spring break.

No comments:

Post a Comment