Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Monday, January 17, 2011

Loverboy - Classics: Their Greatest Hits (1994)


GREATEST HITS WEEK (JANUARY 17-23, 2011)

Is that a picture of a band member picking his nose on the CD cover? I had never owned any Loverboy albums, but when I saw this in a used CD bin, I thought it would be a fun trip. I remembered the band for Working For The Weekend, but this compilation reminded me that I had known a lot of their material back in the early '80s. To give this band some credit, they could write hooks and weren't afraid to use synths. It's okay if you don't take this group seriously because I don't think they take themselves seriously.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: I had forgotten about great tracks like Jump, Turn Me Loose, The Kid Is Hot Tonite, Lovin' Every Minute of It, and Hot Girls in Love. I guess these songs don't get played much on the local classic rock radio station (they're too busy playing Led Zepplin and Lynyrd Skynyrd). Not being a fan of the power ballad, I could do without This Could Be The Night and Top Gun's Heaven In Your Eyes. There's a Bon Jovi-penned song on here titled Notorious which sounds like typical Bon Jovi trash. I could also do without Destination Heartbreak and Gangs In The Street. Also included is singer Mike Reno's duet with Heart's Ann Wilson, Almost Paradise, the love theme from the movie Footloose. Uh, thanks for including that one, guys?

TitleYearPopRock AC
Turn Me Loose1981356
Working For The Weekend1981292
Take Me To The Top1982
23
The Kid Is Hot Tonight19815542
This Could Be The Night198610930
Jump1982101

Lovin' Every Minute Of It198593
Notorious1987388
Almost Paradise19847
1
Lucky Ones1982
36
Destination Heartbreak1985


Hot Girls In Love1983112
When It's Over19822621
It's Your Life1981


Gangs In The Street1981


Heaven In Your Eyes198612


Missing Top 40 hit: Queen Of The Broken Hearts (#34, 1983)

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: My junior year in high school, I worked at Burger King with a huge Loverboy fan, who happened to be assistant manager of the restaurant. Hearing this music reminds me of that time and that job. I also remember a couple of Loverboy songs being included in a 1981 Epic Records sampler I had on cassette entitled Exposed.

No comments:

Post a Comment