Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, January 28, 2011

Colin Hay - Man @ Work (2003)


An interesting mix here. This release contains 13 tracks: 6 new versions of Men at Work hits, 2 previously released songs and 5 new/previously unreleased recordings. Sort of a reintroduction to Colin and his work. Overall, a very enjoyable pop music CD.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: As far as the remakes of the Men at Work songs are concerned, the acoustic version of Overkill is awesome. The note-for-note remakes of It's A Mistake and Be Good Johnny seem pointless. I'll be honest, I've never liked the song Down Under, so it's unfortunate that 2 versions appear on the disc. Of the other songs, I recommend Beautiful World, Storm In My Heart, and Waiting For My Real Life To Begin. I could easily skip the pseudo-reggae Don't Be Afraid.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I'm reminded of the use of Hay's music on the hilarious TV show Scrubs, particularly an episode in which Hay appeared singing Overkill. Hay also contributed a song (I Just Don't Think I'll Ever Get Over You, not included on this disc) to Zach Braff's wonderful soundtrack to Garden State.

No comments:

Post a Comment