Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Friday, November 19, 2010

Najee - Najee's Theme (1986)


While grading some student work this morning, I though I'd knock out one of my smooth jazz "background music" CDs for the blog. Actually, I think Najee perfers the term "urban jazz" over "smooth jazz". This release is '80s-tastic with lots of synth, drum machine, and cheesy background vocals.

Album chart peaks:
  • US Billboard Top 200: #56 (May 2, 1987)
  • Billboard R&B: #12
  • Billboard Jazz: #8
  • CashBox Jazz: #1

Tracks: Most tracks sound very similar (which is part of the appeal, I suppose), but Najee put together some fairly nice covers of Earth Wind & Fire's Can't Hide Love and Anita Baker's Sweet Love (the latter is probably my favorite cut on the CD). We're Still Love is pretty bad, even by cheesy '80s standards.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment