Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Miles Davis & Marcus Miller - Music from Siesta (1987)


This is a soundtrack CD to a movie I've never seen. I can't remember how I was led to this release, but I'm a fan of Sketches of Spain as well as Marcus Miller, so why not give it a shot. I probably bought this around the year 2000 when I was going through what I'll call a Miles Davis phase as I was experiencing a renewed interested in playing trumpet. Interestingly, the music is dedicated to Gil Evans, the man behind Sketches of Spain. It has some very nice, tasteful playing from Davis. It's refreshing to hear him play without a mute. As the title implies, the music has a Spanish flavor, but is very ethereal and, well, sounds like soundtrack music. Miller wrote all the music and plays most of the instruments (often including an out-of-place bass clarinet). The synthesizer sounds are dated and that's often a distraction. I'm thinking a live orchestra might have worked better than a synth pad. Overall, not something I'd normally seek out, but I would imagine after repeated listenings it might grow on me.

Reviews/ratings:
  • The Rolling Stone Jazz & Blues Album Guide (1999): ★★★★½
  • The Virgin Encyclopedia of Jazz (1999): ★★★
  • The Penguin Guide to Jazz (5th ed., 2000): ★★★

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks: It's a soundtrack, so it is difficult to single out tracks. The main purpose of soundtrack music is not to be noticed. That said, the track titled Conchita/Lament sounds less like a soundtrack than other cuts.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I remember first listening to this on my back porch late one summer night while smoking a cigar. I wonder what my dogs thought about this music.

No comments:

Post a Comment