Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Marshall Crenshaw - Jaggedland (2009)


Crenshaw may be the best '80s artist I didn't hear about until the mid-'90s. That may be a good thing - I'm not sure if I would have appreciated his music when I was 15. His "hit" Someday, Somewhere appeared on a compilation CD I bought and from that song I sought out more of his work, eventually buying a greatest hits CD in the early 2000's. He's aged gracefully: With this release, Marshall Crenshaw has progressed from simply a great singer/songwriter to become a mature popster. (On a good day, I like to consider myself a mature popster.) Crenshaw's songs have unconventional chord progressions, so it usually takes a few listenings to appreciate them.

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: Did not chart

Tracks:
Like: Passing Through, Someone Told Me, Never Coming Down, Sunday Blues, and Live And Learn.
Dislike: Gasoline Baby and Jaggedland.

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: I bought this in June 2010 so I'd have new music to listen to on a flight to London. I didn't listen to it until I got back to the US. My mistake was not buying this upon its release and listening to it immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment