Since September 2010, this blog has recorded the journey of this music junkie as I attempt to listen to all the music in my CD collection. CDs revisited in their entirety from start to finish - no skipping tracks, no shuffle. Compact Discs only - no vinyl, no tapes, no files.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Erasure - Other People's Songs (2003)


For the most part, I like cover versions of songs. I consider it a good cover if the recording artist is able to take another artist's song and make it their own. In other words, can Erasure take a Philly soul classic like When Will I See You Again and make it sound like they wrote it? Does it sound like an Erasure song or is Erasure just throwing a lot of electronics and production at a piece and ending up with something cheesy? They make some interesting song choices on this CD. It's not very cohesive. I'm pretty sure I bought this CD because it contained a cover of Video Killed the Radio Star.

Billboard, February 1, 2003, p. 42

Peak on the US Billboard Top 200 chart: #138 (Feb 15, 2003)
Peak on Billboard Top Electronic Albums chart: #1

Tracks: I'll give each cut a letter grade based on my above criteria.
  • Solsbury Hill - the lead single from the album; originally by Peter Gabriel, 1977: D
  • Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime - originally by The Korgis, 1980: B
  • Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me) - originally by Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel, 1975: A
  • Everyday - originally by Buddy Holly and the Crickets, 1957: F
  • When Will I See You Again - originally by The Three Degrees, 1974: A
  • Walking in the Rain - originally by The Ronettes, 1964: I'm not familiar with the original, so I don't feel comfortable giving a grade. I do have the urge to skip this track if that tells you anything.
  • True Love Ways - originally by Buddy Holly, 1960: B-
  • Ebb Tide - made popular by The Righteous Brothers, 1965: B
  • Can't Help Falling in Love - originally by Elvis Presley, 1961: C
  • You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' - made popular by Tom Cruise in the motion picture Top Gun (just seeing if you were paying attention) originally by The Righteous Brothers, 1964: B+
  • Goodnight - originally by Cliff Eberhardt, 1990: again, not familiar with the original
  • Video Killed the Radio Star - originally by The Buggles, 1979: B

Personal Memory Associated with this CD: None

No comments:

Post a Comment